Sunday, October 3, 2010

#15 So what’s in a wiki?

I usually don't like wikis because I feel like the layout sucks. That's why I liked the Bull Run Library's wiki, with it's pictures, color, and unique layout. However, I didn't like the fact that you can't edit it without permission. Wikis with permissions are good for collaborating with staff, but crappy for patron input and collaboration.
As far as purposes of the wikis go, I thought the Bull Run one was just the same as an information website, so I didn't like that. I think the lib best practices one was great for professional collaboration and I really liked the idea of the Book Lover's wiki, but clearly something went wrong with that because no one's posted in 2 years. If I were at a public library, I'd definitely try out something like that for patrons to post book reviews. Also, it'd be cool academic wise for students to post helpful books and resources under a particular class' wiki page.

No comments:

Post a Comment